Information for Restaurants and Caterers Interested in Great Plates Delivered by Meals on Wheels Orange County
Please Note: Many more restaurants and caterers have submitted applications than currently can be accommodated. Based on participant demand and how long the program continues, new applications may be considered and will be kept on file for the entire duration of Great Plates Delivered.
Meals on Wheels Orange County was contracted by the County of Orange on May 13, 2020, to administer the Great Plates Delivered program across North & Central Orange County, including Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, La Palma, Los Alamitos, Midway City, Orange, Placentia, Santa Ana, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin, Villa Park, Westminster and Yorba Linda. If you are a meal provider in South Orange County and want to apply, visit Age Well Senior Services here.
The program is active until funding ends.
In Orange County, Great Plates Delivered is funded in part through a grant from the California Office of Emergency Services, as allocated by the Orange County Board of Supervisors and administered by the Office on Aging. As a government-funded program, there are requirements in order to ensure successful program and fiscal administration. Meal Providers must:
- Be able to prepare and deliver three chilled, ready-to-eat meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in a single delivery) to at least 100 participants (seniors) a day. NOTE: Meal providers must be able to offer breakfast as well as lunch and dinner. (Exceptions to the minimum meal volume of 100 participants may be made for specialty providers who can meet specific dietary requirements. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will still be required.)
Not be currently participating in a state or federal meal service program.
Provide meals that meet the following nutritional requirements:
- Breakfast: low in sodium (no sodium added), no sugary drinks (<24 calories/ 8 oz. and of fruit juice, must be only 100 percent fruit juice allowed); and
- Lunch / Dinner: a piece of fresh fruit or vegetable on each dish, and low in sodium (no sodium added), no sugary drinks (<24 calories/ 8 oz. and of fruit juice, only 100 percent fruit juice allowed).
- Senior portions may be served, e.g., cooked protein 2 -3 oz., fresh fruit ½ cup or whole; cooked vegetables ½ cup, salad 1 cup
- Be in good standing with the Orange County Health Care Agency
- Meet required liability insurance, information security, employment and food handling/COVID-19 practices
- Background check all delivery drivers
- Meet other requirements that apply
The approved meal-provider per diem reimbursement rate for Orange County is $36.11, including making, packaging and delivering three chilled senior meals (B, L, D) and any applicable sales/other taxes. Note: The State’s published per diem rate is larger because it covers all costs of administering the program, not just meal preparation and delivery. Administration costs include program development, interfacing with interested seniors, screening for eligibility and enrolling them in the program; meal-provider contract administration; fiscal administration; and other program-related costs.
If you, after you have reviewed the requirements above, you would like to apply to become a meal provider, complete and upload the application below. Based on participant demand and how long the program continues, new applications may be considered and will be kept on file for the entire duration of Great Plates Delivered.
Meal Provider Application
First, download and complete the application (requires Microsoft Word), save it as a PDF, and then submit it with the form below.